Accessibility Services’ Alternative Format Textbook Policy and Procedure follows a student self-advocacy model to support student self-efficacy and responsibility of their accommodations. The Alternative Format Textbook Accommodation approves students with a documented disability to receive their textbooks in an alternative format that is more conducive to their learning. This could include, but is not limited to, audio or braille formats.
- To maintain equity and fulfill copyright obligations, students who are looking for an alternative format textbook must provide a proof of purchase of each textbook they would like to receive in the alternative format. This can be done by taking photos or screenshots of the receipt and uploading them to the Kurzweil/Alternative Format Textbook form in the Web-Portal OR bringing in hardcopies to room 1-452.
- Please allow up to 4 weeks for processing as certain formats of textbook can take significant time to receive. It is the responsibility of the student to plan accordingly.
- A “Kurzweil/Alt Text” form (found in the Web-Portal) must be submitted for every textbook requested.
- The student may not share their alternative format textbook with any other student as this can constitute a copyright infringement. If a student is found to share their book/file/or tapes with another student, they may lose their right to the alternative format textbook accommodation.
- The student will notify Accessibility Services immediately if they drop/withdraw from any course they are utilizing the alternative format textbook accommodation in.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the SCTCC Accessibility Services Alternative Format Textbook Policy, please contact Accessibility Services (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To request an Alternative Format Textbook:
- Student is approved for the Alternative Format Textbook accommodation though Accessibility Services
- Log into the Web-Portal with your StarID and password OR Tech ID and Last Name
- Click on “Kurzweil/Alt Text Form”
- Fill out the relevant information, including the book title, the ISBN number, the course the text is for, instructor information, etc.
- Choose which format you need your textbook in
- Upload photos of your proof of purchase (OR bring hard copies into room 1-452)
- Check the “I certify…” statement
- Hit “Submit Request” at the bottom of the screen
If you have any questions or concerns about the Alternative Format Text Procedure or if you need additional support submitting the Alternative Format Text accommodation form, please contact the SCTCC Accommodations Specialist at email@example.com or in Room 1-452.
Accessibility Services Web Portal
Accessibility Services Coordinator
320-308-5064 or 1-800-222-1009 - TTY users dial MN Relay at 711
Fax: 320-308-5981 Attn: Accessibility Services
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Accommodations Specialist, Accessibility Services
320-308-5757 | email@example.com
Anne Rhodes, N.I.C., Interpreter Coordinator
320-308-5046 | firstname.lastname@example.org