Club Travel Policies

Get ready to pack your bags

Many student clubs and organizations have the opportunity to travel to various events for fundraising, competitions, or other activities. Please keep in mind that student club travel involves the participation of several departments on campus, each with its own timelines and protocols. Therefore, clubs should plan accordingly and allow ample time to complete the necessary steps involved with traveling.

What you need to know before you go

Only eligible SCTCC students and their advisor/chaperones/coaches are allowed to participate in club-oriented, off-campus travel activities.

  • Off-campus travel is a privilege for students involved in student organizations.
  • Students must have qualified for off-campus competitions in order to participate.
  • Students must be making satisfactory progress in all classes in order to participate in off campus travel.
  • Student athletes must meet all eligibility requirements to participate in off-campus events and competitions.

Getting your travel plan approved

Student Organization travel plans must be discussed, outlined, and approved by the Division Dean and the Director of Campus Life well in advance of travel dates (minimum of 2 weeks). Student Organizations are strongly encouraged to meet as a group to discuss participation requirements, individual and/or group travel costs, fundraising requirements, intended trip outcomes, and travel behavior expectations.

Submitting the Travel Code of Conduct Form

Prior to leaving on an approved trip, all students traveling with the group must read, agree to, and sign the Student Travel Participation Contract. Advisors must submit these forms along, with the insurance and emergency contact forms, to the Director of Campus Life before purchase orders are submitted for processing.

Paying for your trip

Funding for club travel must come from funds deposited into club accounts. Fund sources can include club dues, club fundraising, club member payments, donations, and student senate funding.

Receiving approval, compensation, and travel reimbursement for advisors

Each active student organization must have one advisor. The advisor must be a faculty or staff member of SCTCC. Student organizations must submit an EAF to the Director of Campus Life at the beginning of each school year with the name of their club’s advisor. The club advisor will receive an “Advisor Stipend” per contract paid from the Student Activity Fee account.

Expenditures for advisor travel and lodging should be secured using the club purchase order forms. All other travel expenditures should be reported on the SEMA4 Employee Expense Report.
Advisors leaving campus for club activities must first complete a Club Advisor Travel Form.To ensure approval, the form should be completed and submitted well in advance of planned travel. Signatures of approval include the Advisor’s Dean (for leave approval); Club Treasurer (for use of club funding approval); Director of Student Life and Athletics (for final approval); SCTCC President (for out-of-state travel only).

Verifying drivers licenses

Individuals (faculty/staff/students) authorized to travel who are driving a fleet, rented, or personal vehicle must agree to a driver’s license check per State of Minnesota State Statute prior to travel. Forms and additional information on license checks can be found online at the Fleet Vehicle Safety page. Please allow ample time for processing. These forms should be turned into the Safety office.

Getting approval for vehicles used for travel

Individuals (faculty/staff/students) authorized to travel who are driving a fleet, rented, or personal vehicle must get approval on the vehicle they’ll be using prior to travel. Vehicle Use Consent Forms can be found online at the Fleet Vehicle Safety page. Please allow ample time for processing and attach the approved Vehicle Use Consent Form to all travel requests.

State-owned vehicles

State owned vehicles are to be used for official state business only. Authorized drivers are state employees, contract employees (if authorization to drive a state vehicle is specifically mentioned in their contract), students who have been given permission by college or university administration, and individuals assisting an employee or student with a disability (if approved by the employee's supervisor or college administration).

St. Cloud Technical and Community College fleet vehicles can be reserved by contacting the SCTCC Safety and Health Officer at 308-6158. Drivers need a valid U.S. driver's license and must observe all ordinances and laws pertaining to the operation of motor vehicles. Only authorized persons are permitted to ride in state-owned vehicles. Authorized persons include state employees, other persons participating in related state programs, or an individual assisting an employee or student with a disability (if approved by the employee's supervisor or college administration).

Personal vehicles

Employees and any other individuals authorized to travel, including students, may use their personal vehicle for business purposes when in compliance with state policy. Mileage reimbursements for the use of personal vehicles will be at the allowable levels and in conformance with expense reimbursement requirements defined in the respective bargaining agreement or compensation plan of the employee or any other individual authorized to travel, including students and state policy as outlined.

Motor coaches

Travel arrangements for motor coach rental can be made through any vendor provided they have the State of Minnesota required insurance levels. Contact the Business Office to obtain the most up-to-date insurance levels and requirements.

Rental vehicles

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is the state’s preferred vendor for rental vehicles. Our state contract with Enterprise allows all authorized drivers to DECLINE rental vehicle insurance because the state has provisions for insuring rental vehicles against damage through the risk management division (unless travel is in a foreign country). If a rental car is necessary, and Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company is not available, use of another vendor REQUIRES that the employee purchase the liability and physical damage coverage offered by the rental company. Employees will only be reimbursed for the cost of the liability and physical damage coverage. The purchase of any other optional coverage will not be reimbursed. It is the employee's responsibility to ensure they are making the correct rental car arrangements.

Coordinating air travel

Travel arrangements may be made through any travel agency. Use of the state’s preferred vendors or targeted group and economically disadvantaged vendors is encouraged. Reservations should be made early enough to take advantage of advance purchase discounts.

Lost baggage

Personal items lost while traveling on authorized business are not a reimbursable expense.

Excess baggage

Employees or any other individuals authorized to travel (including students) will be reimbursed for excess baggage charges only when the authorized individuals are required to have equipment, books, reports, etc. which cause him/her to exceed the normal weight limitations.

Meeting vendor insurance requirements

Limits and types of insurance required by all vendors are set by governing bodies outside the SCTCC campus. Insurance requirements and limits can change at any time throughout the fiscal year so please check with the business office before making plans with any specific vendor.

Getting cash advances/state-authorized credit cards

The use of state credit cards for authorized business expenses is strongly encouraged. An employee and any other individual authorized to travel (including students) may be issued a travel advance subject to minimum amounts determined by his/her bargaining agreement or compensation plan. The amount of the advance should not include any expense that will be directly billed. Advances should be requested using the SEMA4 Employee Expense Report a minimum of 14 days before departure. An employee or any other individuals authorized to travel may not have more than one outstanding travel advance (due to not settling the advance for a trip that has been completed). The advance must be submitted with an Employee Expense Report and the appropriate receipts and documentation within five (5) days of returning from the trip. Advances not settled within 28 days of the return date will be deducted in their entirety from the employee's pay check.