Degrees and Certificates
Why Choose This Program
Do you find yourself thinking about majoring in Theatre but are worried about what you can do with your degree? Well, you can do a lot with a Theatre degree, the possibilities are close to endless. Theatre majors often go on to successful careers in the arts, business, education, government, performance, publishing, and much more.
Theatre is a special program at SCTCC, as it our first and only Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) that we currently offer. Students in our Theatre program will earn a degree that is transferable to all Minnesota State four-year universities. Not only do we prepare students to succeed in further education plans, but also for successful careers in areas that they feel most passionate towards.
To be eligible to transfer, students must finish the nine required Theatre courses at St. Cloud State University.
From Degree to Career
When you choose the Theatre Transfer Pathway degree at SCTCC, you’ll save money on your generals before transferring to get your bachelor's degree. By getting your general classes done at SCTCC, you'll have a good foundation when you are ready to transfer.
At SCTCC, we equip our students with the skills necessary to succeed in their future career or education paths. Students in our Theatre program will learn to enhance their performance and presentation skills, ability to work under pressure, project management skills, and leadership skills.
After graduation, students have strong verbal and written communication skills, are able to work individually and collaboratively, and can utilize creative problem-solving skills. With a degree from SCTCC, our graduates even have listening, clarifying, questioning, and responding skills and critical thinking skills.
- Performance and presentation skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Project management skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Listening, clarifying, questioning and responding skills
- Critical thinking skills
A Theatre degree from SCTCC is highly applicable to a variety of careers. Graduates have the ability to choose what area they want to pursue after obtaining their degree. Students can focus their skills in the arts, business, communications and media, education, government and law, healthcare and science, nonprofit and advocacy, and even tech.
If a student chooses to stay within the arts, they can find employment through the performing arts, entertainment, visual arts, film, and museums.
For those interested in business, careers can be found in consulting, marketing, sales, human resources, entrepreneurship, data science, and even insurance.
By utilizing skills taught at SCTCC, graduates interested in communications and media can find jobs in advertising, public relations, and journalism. Publishing, writing, editing, visual communication, and technical writing are also great options for those interested in communication related fields.
Interested in teaching? Theatre graduates can find even find jobs in higher and secondary education and libraries.
Students can even utilize their degree to focus on government and law. Pre-law, law enforcement, paralegal, lobbying, public advocacy, politics, and international affairs are all possibilities with a Theatre degree. Our graduates have even found jobs for local, state, and federal government positions.
Pre-health, public health, pharmacy, biology, forensic science, chemistry, and physics are all possible areas Theatre students can focus their skillset in if interested in healthcare and science.
For students interested in nonprofit work and advocacy, they can find jobs for NGOs, social work, counseling, social and human services.
Students can even utilize their skills for tech careers like information technology, computer science, and data.
- Arts: Performing Arts, Entertainment, Visual Arts, Film, Museums
- Business: Consulting, Marketing, Sales, Human Resources, Entrepreneurship, Data Science, Insurance
- Communications and Media: Advertising, Public Relations, Journalism, Publishing, Writing, Editing, Visual Communication, Technical Writing
- Education: Teaching, Higher Education, Secondary Education, Libraries
- Government and Law: Pre-Law, Law Enforcement, Paralegal, Lobbying, Public Advocacy, Politics, Local, Federal, & State Government, International Affairs
- Healthcare and Science: Pre-Health, Public Health, Pharmacy, Biology, Forensic Science, Chemistry, Physics
- Nonprofit and Advocacy: NGOs, Social Work, Counseling, Social Services, Human Services
- Tech: Information Technology, Computer Science, Data
Students who receive their AFA from SCTCC have the opportunity to transfer their degree to any one of the seven Minnesota State universities.
Students can choose from Bemidji State University, Metropolitan State University, Minnesota State University, Mankato, Minnesota State University, Moorhead, St. Cloud State University, Southwest Minnesota State University, and Winona State University.
With so many potential options, our students are certain to find a program that fits their educational needs.
Ready to Take the Next Step?
Are you ready to learn more about this program and being a student at SCTCC? Contact our instructors directly or join us for an info session to meet with instructors and Admissions representatives to get started.
Connect with the SCTCC Admissions team:
- Call us at 320-308-5089
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- On campus Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.