Why Choose This Program
If you love the outdoors and the idea of not being chained to a desk, the Land Surveying and Civil Engineering Technology program may be the perfect fit.
Students will learn surveying and drafting techniques, along with design and construction practices that involve sewer, water, streets, roads, and land surveying. Grads will be skilled in modern surveying equipment, computer applications, computer-aided drafting and design, and surveying methods.
As an essential part of city, county, state, and federal infrastructure, you can put a land surveying/civil engineering degree to work for government agencies like the MN Department of Transportation, Department of Natural Resources, counties, and larger cities. Or you can plan a career with private engineering or architectural firms, surveying firms, highway or road contractors, and utility contractors.
- Use engineering design and CAD skills in the creation of infrastructure plans
- Operate surveying instruments properly
- Ability to review, interpret, and understand computations, field methods, and design procedures of Civil Engineering and Land Surveying
- Develop critical thinking and creative problem-solving abilities
- Work successfully as a team member
Types of Careers
- Land Surveying Technician
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Government Agencies: City, County, State (MnDOT, DNR), and Federal
- Private: Engineering/architectural firms, Surveying firms, materials testing firms, highway/road contractors, and utility contractors
- CADD Drafter/Designer
- Construction Inspector
- Materials Testing Technician
Where Grads Work
- MN Department of Transportation
- Short, Elliott, Hendrickson, Inc.
- Widseth, Smith, Nolting
- Bogart, Pederson
- Westwood Professional Services
- O’malley & Kron
- Benton County
- Kramer, Leas, Deleo
- Kraemer Trucking & Excavating
- Ramsey County
- Mcleod County
- Hakanson Anderson
- Stearns County
- Carlson McCain, Inc.
Students who complete the Land Survey/Civil Engineering program at SCTCC can transfer easily to St. Cloud State University for a bachelor's degree in Land Surveying & Mapping Science.
Sean Clark, PE
Dan Kvaal, LSIT
In addition to tuition and fees, students can expect to pay $2795-2995 for books, supplies, and materials.