Student Learning Outcomes
This course will enable students to assist in the preparation of drugs used in the operating room. Students will distinguish the various uses, routes of administration, equipment needed and possible side effects of these drugs. Emphasis will be placed on the legal and safety aspects of drug administration. The metric and apothecary systems of measure will be studied. Students will convert standard time to military time, do temperature conversions, and learn how to prepare a solution.Student Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the principles of anesthesia administration as well as be able to explain the necessity of each component of anesthesia preparation of the surgical patient.
- Compare and contrast methods, agents, and techniques of anesthesia administration and preparation.
- Correlate anesthesia monitoring devices with patient homeostasis.
- Explain anesthesia complications and interventions.
- Calculate medication conversions and dosages.
- Apply general terminology to medication use.
- Prepare and manage medications and solutions.
- Use medications in the care of the surgical patient.
- Describe the legal and safety principles of drug/anesthesia administration in the operating room.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.