The information below should help you get started:
For assistance determining the types of veteran’s benefits available as well as the process for securing those benefits, access the websites and phone number below.
- GI Bill® Web Site: www.gibill.va.gov
- Higher Education Veteran's Programs: mymilitaryeducation.org
- V.A. Education Benefits Toll Free Number - 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GIBill-1)
To continue receiving GI Bill® payments, student veterans are required to do the following:
- Apply at the SCTCC veteran’s office each summer, fall, or spring to re-establish your benefits for the coming semester or school year.
- E-mail the Financial Aid Office of any changes you make to your credit load, address, or major.
- Send your AARTS, SMART or CCAF transcript to the Records Office to have your military education credits evaluated and applied to your college degree requirements.
- Know the policy on repeating a class. You cannot be paid for a course in which you previously received a passing grade (D or better) unless a higher grade is required for the major or is a prerequisite for another course needed in your major.
- Understand possible overpayment reasons and consequences.
Reasons for overpayment:
- Withdrawing from a course without mitigating circumstances and/or dropping below 12 credits.
- Repeating a class in which you previously received a passing grade.
Consequences of overpayment:
- Repay the overpayment to the VA if you quit school OR
- Future payments will be reduced until the overpayment is paid off
Have your military transcript sent to SCTCC for us to review for possible transfer of credit.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.