- You must be a Minnesota resident
- Your family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as reported on the FAFSA or Minnesota Dream Act is below $80,000*
- You are attending a Minnesota public higher education institution or tribal college (SCTCC is one of these institutions)
- Enroll in a program or class that applies to a degree, diploma, or certificate. (All SCTCC degree and certificate options are eligible)
- Enroll in at least one credit
- Meet satisfactory academic progress
- Have not already earned a bachelor’s degree
- Not be in default on a state or federal student loan
How does it work?
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov or
- Fill out the Minnesota Dream Act application
- SCTCC will review your eligibility on a semester-by-semester basis
- Grants, scholarships, waivers, and stipends will be subtracted from your tuition and fees first, then the remaining amount will be awarded by the North Star Promise scholarship.
- You will be notified of your North Star Promise award through eServices.
How much can I get?
- There is no limit on the dollar amount of the award. It’s based on the last-dollar calculation of your eligibility for each semester.
- The scholarship will only cover the cost of tuition and fees.
- To receive the North Star Promise scholarship, you must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- There is a limit to the number of credits you can earn. For a two-year AA, AS, or AAS degree, the award can be applied up to 60 credits. If you transfer for your bachelor’s degree, it can be applied to an additional 60 credits for a total of 120.
*About Adjusted Gross Income (AGI):
- The IRS defines AGI as your gross income minus any adjustments to your income. Adjustments can include student loan interest, educator expenses, alimony paid, retirement account contributions, health savings account contributions, or certain business expenses for self-employed workers.
- Where do I see my family’s AGI? Your AGI is located on Line 11 on form 1040 or form 1040-SR.
If you have questions about the North Star Promise Scholarship or paying for college, our Financial Services Team is here to help.
1540 Northway Drive
St. Cloud, MN 56303